is at present head of the department - Nuclear Structure and Nuclear Chemistry - at the "Gesellschaft für Schwerionenforschung" (GSI), Darmstadt. He holds a chair as Professor of Experimental Physics at the Johannes-Gutenberg-Universität, Mainz. He was born in 1940 in Nordhausen, Germany, and studied physics at the Justus-Liebig-University, Giessen, and the Leopold-Franzens-University, Innsbruck. In 1971 he obtained his doctor’s degree in physics at the University of Giessen. In 1976 he moved to GSI, Darmstadt, into the department of nuclear chemistry of P. Armbruster, where he became head of the GSI-SHIP-group. He played the leading role in directing the experiments on the synthesis of the new elements 107, 108 and 109 and the discovery of the cold heavy ion fusion, which were done in the period of 1980-84. In 1984 he became head of the new GSI project, the fragment separator, a project which opened new research topics, such as interactions of relativistic heavy ions with matter, production and separation of exotic nuclear beams and structure of exotic nuclei. The latter has become a major field of research at the GSI under his leadership. Since 1996 he has been head of the GSI department KPII. Among the awards he has received one should mention the Röntgen-Prize of the University of Giessen in 1983 and the Otto-Hahn-Prize of the city of Frankfurt/Main in 1996.